Monday, June 11, 2007

"Mind" -> Over Hedge

Okay, I like Over The Hedge.

I'm not sure exactly why. Perhaps, because it is a blatant rip off of Bloom County, which I consider one of the best comic strips of all time. Now, most people would be insulted at rip offs, but then again Berke Breathed left us without a comic strip, so perhaps my subconscious is getting revenge on him.

I mean, how can you not like a film where the lead animal, RJ, carries a single golf club with him everywhere he goes.

Here is some of the other reasons why I like "Over the Hedge."

Let's call it a top 10 or so of the movie.

#1. Cute Animals. Do I need to say more?

#2. Great sound track. Rupert Gregson-Williams composes great filler. Definitely something that you can listen to as you work. Brilliant? No. Great? Yes.

#3. Great songs. Ben Folds wrote 5 songs, and rewrote one. Do I need to say more?

#4. Great rewrite. Ben rewrote "Rockin The Suburbs" for the movie. No profanity should be used in a kids film. Now, here a secret. The rewrite was very good. Didn't have the same complete impact, but there is a subtleness in the song now. Anytime that you have a narrative by William Shattner, something good is happening.

#5. Cute animals. Yes. I know that I used this, but they were worth two mentions.

#6. Redeeming morales. Families watch out for each other, even when a family is a collection of friends.

#7. Kids laughed a lot.

#8. So did I.

#9. Poking fun at how humans stuff themselves. A great dialog by Bruce Willis on the nature of food in something that I'm tempted to memorize. However, I'd need fur to really pull it off.

#10. Worldwide gross of $335M. Hey, I'm in marketing. Success says something.

No comments: