Jesus says everything that nobody wants him to say both yesterday and today:
1. To the rich, he says to give away your riches.
2. To the modern social thinker that says "I will only worship a pansy God that is all sweetness," he threatens to send this person to Hell. He mentions Hell more than anyone.
3. To the morally upright, he hangs out with the prostitutes.
4. To the Bible quoting Evangelical "Christians" of his day (that believed in the right sort of resurrection), he called them Sons of Hell and White Washed Tombs.
5. To those that say "I only need to have Faith to get into Heaven," he says that he'll throw you into Hell because you never fed the poor or visited the prisoners.
6. To those that wanted a hero and a leader, he didn't even defend himself, and he went off and got himself crucified.
The Jesus Christ is the whole point. Nothing else matters in the Bible. You either get him, or you don't. You either worship him, or you hide from him. He is the only thing that matters.
Don't try an minimize him. He can't be categorized and put in a box. Don't think that you got it all under control. Don't think you have a tiger by the tail, because you don't.
He is not a tame lion.