Sunday, February 04, 2007

"Spirit and Mind" -> How To Count Part II

Did you show up here before reading my previous blog entry? You first need to go here: LINK HERE.

Please read the other blog entry first.

If you have not read my other blog entry, then this blog entry won't make any sense at all. So go visit my other blog entry.

If on the other hand, you want to know the answer to my previous blog, then hang on. Why? Because I think you may have not read my other blog entry. So, come one, go back up a few sentences and read my other blog entry. It really isn't going to make sense unless you do this.

You're still here?

Okay.

I guess that you've done the work. But before we reveal the number of passes that were done in the previous blog entry, I want to ask you a simply question.

Did you happen to see anything funny while counting passes?

What am I talking about?

Well I'm just asking. Did you see anything "funny?"

Like what you ask?

How about a woman carrying an umbrella across the basketball court. Because this is what happened in the first one.

In the second one, we had a gorilla walk across the screen. He stopped in the middle of the players, and did a gorilla yell.

Did you see it? If not, then I want you to go back and watch for these events again.

Here are the links:

Basketball 1

Basketball 2

Thus I will let you in on a secret. You were counting basketball passes. However, I wanted to show you "Inattentional Blindness" in action.

Inattentional Blindness basically says that when we focus on something, we block out other things. See, I wasn't trying to get you count the passes (which was around 22 or so). I was misdirecting you. Once you were focused on a task, the other events became black.

While I was growing up as a child, I loved to do magic tricks. The #1 thing to have a successful magic trick is distraction and either anxiety or relaxation. Our human nature is wired so that we can't see the obvious in front of our face unless we know that it is coming.


I had a friend that was riding a bicycle. As they were going down the street in plain view, a car pulled across their path and she crashed into the car. The person behind the wheel said, "I never even saw you." However, the day was clear. They were blinded.

In the same way, how many times have we missed an obvious problem at work? How many times have we seen marriages go down in flames? Each time, the person relates that they just didn't see it coming.

Our brains filter what they want to see. They hear what they want to hear.

I am convinced that God is present in everything around us. We should be able to see him in the corner of our eye. We should be able to see him in each action that we do.

But, because we have this blindness, we cannot.

In reality, people say they can't see God. Well, if you are concentrated on this world, you won't be able to see God.

He'll walk through your game, and you'll never see him.

2 comments:

tmm said...

THIS POST WAS SO FREAKINGLY INSANELY COOL. I can't believe a gorilla stepped into the center of the ring, thumped its chest, and I didn't even notice. Darn it, this makes me wonder what crazy things I've missed because I wasn't paying attention

Theologic said...

Also, I had somebody write the following to me:

Good one, Theo!

I saw the lady with the umbrella in the first one, because I was looking for some sorta of trick or test to make it more difficult to count. But I did not see the gorilla in the second one, because I was completely focused on counting correctly and thought that there would be no tricks here, in the real world.

But this is the point, an excellent point. We cannot trust what we think we are perceiving.