Saturday, October 21, 2006

"Spirit" -> Cool Tools For Your Personal Bible


To the side is a picture of my handheld personal digital assistant (PDA).

Frankly, one of the best purchases that I ever made for it was the electronic Laridian Bible. You can buy it for your Palm PDA, your Windows PDA, and now even for your cell phone (if you have a Treo or a Windows Smartphone).

Imagine this: you can have a Bible that you can slip into your pocket. You can search it from one end to the other in about 20-30 seconds. With the right sub-packeage from Laridian, you can have the Bible served up in nice daily chunks to help you read through the Bible in a year. You also can buy study Bibles, so you can look up footnotes while you are reading.

For instance, I was playing 20 questions with the kids. I was thinking of Gabriel as my hidden thing. The kids figured out that I was thinking of something in the Bible, and they were trying to guess the book. Since I couldn't remember all places that Gabriel appeared, I did a quick search, and in 20 seconds I had all four times in the Bible his named is mentioned. (Daniel and Luke are the two books by the way.)

You can also search by section of the Bible. For instance, what is mentioned more in the New Testament: Grace or Love?

A quick search: Love = 232 times. Grace = 123.

You can also highlight sections and or add notes. However, I haven't fooled around with this in my own use.

You can buy many different versions of the Bible, and you can have them all on your PDA at once. I have the following: King James, New International, Revised Standard, ASB, The Message, The New Living, and the NIV Study Bible. It is easy and quick to switch versions.

If you have a newer Palm with a higher resolution screen, and your eyes are pretty good, it is easy to open up two windows at once. The picture for this post shows just this. You may want to compare different versions, say NIV and KJV, or, as I show here, list both the scripture and a commentary. Laridian gives away their compile of Matthew Henry's commentary, and this is shown on the lower half of the screen.

All in all, a great tool.

No comments: