Wednesday, October 11, 2006

"Music" -> Artist Thomas Newman


Really, where have the composers gone?

Perhaps, you can handle the atonality of Arnold Schoenberg, but I can't. So if you want to listen to some half way decent orchestrated music, and you want to listen to something from this century, what is a person to do?

Welcome to the world of music soundtracks.

The music of soundtracks often have to support emotion in a quite yet satisfactory way. It has to frame the circumstance and set the stage. A movie without music is half a movie. And a good composer is paid very nicely because everybody knows how important he is to the success of the film.

So why not enjoy it straight?

With this in mind, one of the most satisfying soundtracks of the last few years is Thomas Newman's score for Lemony Snicket's: A Series Of Unfortunate Events. I have worn down this soundtrack listening to it while I read or while I do work. I find myself subtly changed and amused by the background that his songs set.

Particular favorites are:

The Reptile Room
Taken By Surpreeze
The Letter That Never Came
Drive Away (End Title)

I find myself playing the Drive Away song multiple times as I go through the track.

It is as if I wished it would never end.

No comments: