Tuesday, October 03, 2006

"Christianity" -> Inquired Of The LORD


1 Samuel 23:4 Once again David inquired of the LORD, and the LORD answered him, "Go down to Keilah, for I am going to give the Philistines into your hand."

I've read through the Bible at least 7 or 8 times, and I am reading through it again (which is a subject for another post). Everytime I read it, I always get something new. When reading about David over the last week or so, I noticed something when compared to every other King of the Bible:

He inquired of the Lord more.

David's job was to fight the enemy, and in this day to day job, he inquired of the Lord. When consulted, the Lord gave advice or wisdom.

(As a matter of fact, the only place that David seemed to screw up on a regular basis, in his life, was simply not inquiring, from the Lord, about his home life. Having one wife certainly would have kept the tragic thread in his life to a minimum.)

When inquiring, David didn't say "Dear God, please help me fight my enemies." This would be telling God what to do. Instead, he said "will you come and advise me?"

What do we normally say?

Let's say Bob is sick. The prayer normally goes one of two ways:

1. Dear Lord please make Bob well.
2. Dear Lord please give Bob the wisdom to know how to deal with this sickness.

However, from how I read the life of David, he goes a third route. What David would ask is the following:

3. Dear Lord, should Bob go visit Doctor Johnson?

David asked specifically.

David asked expecting God to give him advise on specific situations.

David would get his answer.

This is the key. David would get answers because he was asking questions not asking for stuff. I know as I have gotten older, I enjoy the "youngsters" asking me for advice, because I know that by simply using wisdom, I can teach them. I think the Lord wants to give us advice, but he waits. He waits until we ask for advice.

With this in mind, suddenly we can understand James 1:5

5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

This does not say that if you lack wisdom, God will make you wise if you ask. Instead, the verse means that "if you are dumb, the Lord will advise you on each circumstance." In this way, we can tap into a wisdom above our own wisdom, and even the simple can seem wise.

The one guy that actually got made more wise by God (a wisdom upgrade kit so to speak), Solomon, actually ended up pretty miserable in life. While the Lord was pleased with Solomon's request, I think Solomon would have been even happier if he would have simply asked God for the ability to listen to the Lord's wisdom, rather than depending on his own wisdom.

So at least for me, as one more thing to check off, I am going to start to inquire.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

This is a good reminder to all who profess to be Christians. Check out my "Issues in Christian Life." I am an "outside the box" Christian, and that doesn't make me someone everyone at church understands or agrees with, but this is how I view things.

http://issuesinchristianlife.blogspot.com/